Meet Campus Ministry’s new Graduate Assistant for the upcoming academic year
Michael Werning is coordinating the weekly Soup with Substance noontime presentation on an issue related to social justice
- Name and Marquette connection/s: Michael Werning, Doctoral Student in the English Department and Graduate Assistant in Campus Ministry
- Hometown: Salzkotten, Germany
- Hobbies and interests: Tennis, chess, traveling, reading
- Favorite movie/s: The Lord of the Rings trilogy
- Favorite mottos/quotations: Noli timere! (“Don’t be afraid” in Latin)
- Currently reading: The Mysteries of Udolpho
- Favorite vacation spot: Ireland
- Education/Professional Experience & Background: Completed my Bachelor and Master degrees at Münster University in Germany
- What is a goal or hope you have for your work and the Marquette community for the upcoming year? I would like to do my part in making Marquette a place where everyone feels welcomed, appreciated, and safe. The Soup with Substance events for which I will be coordinator will be a great opportunity to address important, current issues and to invite the Marquette community to engage in those discussions.
Soup with Substance will once again be meeting in person with a meal this fall semester
Inspired by the “roundtable discussions” of Peter Maurin and the Catholic Worker Movement, Soup with Substance is a noontime presentation, on an issue related to social justice over a simple meal of soup and bread.
Each academic year Campus Ministry hosts nearly forty Soup with Substance Programs! If your Marquette University department or student organization has an idea for a Soup with Substance speaker or topic, please contact Michael Werning, the Soup with Substance coordinator.
Soup with Substance will be starting back up in-person and virtually on Wednesday, Sept. 8 in AMU 163 on “Impact and meaning of the 20th anniversary of 9/11.” Can’t make it in-person? Sign up to receive the link to attend virtually.